peak moments

This morning on my daily walk in my neighborhood I experience one of those peak moments with our avian world.
I first notice our resident Swainson's Thrush perched on a branch just below me on the trail. I stop to drink in a good long look at this flutist of the forest.  As I stand there on my right are Golden-crown Kinglets foraging and singing away with their crowns flashing. Above me is a new bird for the area a Hammond's Flycatcher spitting out his song, if you can call it that. To my left is a pair of Western Tanagers hopping about the branches keeping in touch with each other with their typical call notes. This moment of pause alerts me to a female Black-chinned Hummingbird brooding her eggs in a nest the size of a matchbox.  All of this activity going on around me  without ever moving my feet but my eyes and ears glow with joy.

Letitia Lussier