Birding on UT 39

UT 39 provides some highly accessible riparian habitats east of Huntsville due to the numerous Forest Service campgrounds along the South Fork of the Ogden River.  I birded several of the campgrounds and around the Ogden Valley as well.  I don't know how many species I saw, but I'll share the memorables:  In Ogden Valley:  Sandhill Crane up to their bellies in dandelions, with the buffy and rust periscope heads of chicks alongside; Sharp-shinned Hawk grasping lunch and being harassed by a Western Kingbird; at least 18 Great Blue Heron nests in a rookery, some with as many as 4 chicks; a Red-tailed Hawk nest with 3 fluffy, white chicks;  Wilson's Phalarope; Common Snipe sitting on a post as I passed 15 feet away; Bobolink; Savannah Sparrow.  At Perception Park and Meadows Campgrounds between mile markers 26 and 27 on UT 39:  A male Red-naped Sapsucker with more red on his head than I've ever seen; a male Broad-tailed Hummingbird etching great crescent trails in the sky above a hidden female; at one point he perched with his back to the sun and looked like a minute emerald lit from within; Bullock's Oriole weaving their goblet hammock; once the male and female locked feet while airborne and tumbled the way eagles do.  A dark grouse flew out of open, deciduous woods over the roadbed where I was standing, to a sagebrush flat.  My fraction-of-a-second look just wasn't enough to satisfy.  My attempt to stalk it was completely unsuccessful.  The only thing I found where the grouse landed was the pile of Tootsie Rolls a moose had thoughtfully left for me.  Probability birding says the grouse was a Blue.

I continued on 20 miles past Huntsville to Dry Bread Pond and saw a Yellow-rumped Warbler snuggling down in her partially-completed nest in a burned snag; and a Mountain Bluebird.  While watching the bluebird a Townsend's Solitaire appeared on a spruce turret within my field of view--didn't have to work too hard for that one!  I attempted to rise to the occasion when a cooperative empid flycatcher sang and sang its three-discrete note call and allowed me to watch it with both binoculars and scope.  I went back to the truck to listen to Stokes and determined it was a Dusky.  I heard several in the area.

Perhaps the most memorable moment of the day occured in Perception Park in the fraction of a second when I realized a pair of robins were chortling and chasing each other just 15 feet above my head, and then...SMACK!  Right on my raised binoculars and hand, the revenge of the robins.  I'm sure they launched their airborne revenge because they perceived I was far more interested in a Gray Catbird than I was in them.  Thank goodness for waterproof, ruggedized binoculars, that's what I say.  I wondered for the rest of the campground walk if I had taken a bigger hit than just on the binocs and hand--did I look like Mrs Adams of the Adams family, a la robin--brown hair; white streak?  The truck mirror confirmed all my hair was still brown.  Note to self:  add an umbrella to my birding equipment.

Kris