Calliope Hummingbird

On a tip from Julie, I went up to the Mountain Dell Golf Course area to try to find a Calliope Hummingbird and he was right where she said he would be.  I suspect some of you are familiar with this area, but I will give directions for those of you who aren't.  Take the East Canyon exit off I-80 and go left.  Go past the road which goes to the golf course clubhouse, go under the golfers' bridge and past the short stretch of road lined with cement barriers.  Park near the gate on the right side of the road which has a red "Authorized Vehicles Only" sign.  Stand near the gate and look down into the gully where you will see the horseshoe of water.  The Calliope was buzzing and perching around the water at the top of the horseshoe (that nearest the road above).  Look for a clump of bushes with yellow flowers.  That's where he was feeding.  You may want to try to look from above without walking down into the gully.  I didn't have any luck from above, so I walked down the hillside.  Be careful!  There is not a designated trail and it is quite steep.

Also birded George Washington Park.  There were some nice birds including lots of Chipping Sparrows that were warming up for their spring concert, Red-naped Sapsuckers, MacGillivray's Warblers and Warbling Vireos.

Pomera