Red Knots

Greetings!

I arrived at Antelope Island today at 7:00 a.m. to get in a "couple" hours of birding.  Eight hours later, I finally made it home.

There were hundreds of birds between mile markers 5 and 6 on the south side of the causeway when I arrived.  For over two hours, I carefully sifted through the birds and in among the huge numbers of Black-bellied Plovers and Sanderlings, I found Wilson's Phalaropes, a small cluster of Long-billed Dowitchers and two Red Knots.  I was lucky because at first the Red Knots were just mixed in with the Sanderlings and they stuck out like a sore thumb.  Later when they joined the dowitchers, they were not quite as noticeable.  Between mile markers 2 and 3 on the north side were three Semipalmated Sandpipers.

I joined forces with John Keith who is in town for a USGS conference and we birded Garr Ranch together.  Of the warblers, we found Orange-crowned, Virginia's, Yellow, Yellow-rumped, MacGillivray's and Wilson's.  There were Chipping and Lark Sparrows, Lazuli Buntings, Black-headed Grosbeaks, Bullock's Orioles and Hermit Thrush.  For all of you flycatcher lovers, there were plenty at the ranch.  We were only able to positively identify the Dusky.

A wonderful birding day!

Pomera