Bear River Exit and Willard Bay

Should you be headed for Bear River MBR, don't pass up the area around the I-15 exit without scanning for avian opportunists taking advantage of the large puddles.  I pulled off the north-bound exit ramp to see what I could see.  In the pond east of the ramp I saw six resting Caspian Terns, a Spotted Sandpiper, American Avocet, Cinnamon Teal, Gadwall, Redhead, and Canada Geese. In the pond between the ramp, the interstate, and the overpass to the refuge, I saw incredible numbers of Cliff Swallows and some Barn Swallows swooping over the grassy pond, Black-necked Stilts, Mallard, and two Wilson's Phalarope.  The Cliff Swallows are nesting on the overpass on the southwest side.  On the refuge road about two hundred feet west of the southbound exit ramp, a flooded field on the north side gave up White-faced Ibis, Cattle and Snowy Egret, Willet, Sandhill Crane flying overhead, Cinnamon Teal, Blue-Winged Teal, and my favorite, a Blue-winged x Cinnamon Teal hybrid.  It took a while to figure out that one!  The bird was resting with bill tucked, but even in that posture I could see the indistinct white crescent on its face behind the bill.  That field mark didn't go with the rufous sides that looked a bit mottled.  It also had a partly gray and partly rust head with a brilliant red eye.  While the bird was swimming, the male Blue-winged Teal chased it away from two females with neck lowered, snipping at the hybrid's tail feathers.  South of the road and east of the visitor's center construction site, I saw a Long-Billed Curlew.  I wish someone would have the decency to cut down the 10-inch high wooden fence posts in the field west of the visitors' center construction site.  I practically have heart failure EVERY time I see these posts, thinking surely I have found Burrowing Owls.  I never learn.  I saw another male Cinnamon and another male Blue-winged Teal at the next pond west, along with many of the birds mentioned above.  A few hundred yards further west at a culvert, I was able to study swallows perched on power lines and saw Northern Rough-winged, Tree, Barn, Cliff, and five Violet-green.

I returned south to Willard Bay instead of continuing on to the refuge.  Between the farm pond north of the state park, the bay, and the Nature Trail, I had a great afternoon.  The Bullock's Orioles, Yellow Warblers, and Yellow-rumped Warblers have taken over this park.  I saw many raptors/passerines/water species and enjoyed them immensely.  The notables were MacGillivray's Warbler, a thrush that was probably a Swainson's, a Myrtle Yellow-rumped with a pale yellow wash on its white throat, Horned Grebe, an Empidonax flycatcher I believe was a Hammond's, Black-crowned Night Heron, and Black-headed Grosbeak (I threw the last two not because they're uncommon; I just like them).  I suspect an Orange-crowned Warbler and a Green-tailed Towhee were present as well.  Neither bird would show itself to confirm the songs I heard.  The Horned Grebe was the first one I ever saw without looking through thousands of other grebes first.  It was completely alone; the pelicans, cormorants, and juvenile Common Loon not far off didn't count.

Kris