Dunlin Behavior

I noticed a pattern in Dunlin behavior at AIC today that might help others sift through the billions of Sanderlings to see Dunlin. I saw 10 Dunlin on the north side of the causeway from about 1/8 mile east of MM 3 to about the same distance past MM 4 from 4:00-6:30 pm.  Each Dunlin I saw was either at the closest-to-the-water edge of a Sanderling flock, or on the very edge of the water itself.  About half of them were perched on low rocks right at the water's edge.  I was always looking past Sanderlings to see the Dunlin.  None of the Dunlin were actually mixed into the Sanderling flocks.  None were on the road side of those flocks.  In an earlier posting, Jack Binch mentioned the rufous back is easier to see than the black belly, and I agree, unless the birder is so fortunate to see the Dunlin straight-on with no Sanderlings in the way.  Another definitive field mark is the size and shape of the bill--longer than a Sanderling's, and downcurved.  The bill is quite distinct in the comparison.  The slightly larger size (1/2" larger than Sanderling) was noticeable, but only after I saw the other more striking identifying characteristics.

Kris