[Fwd: FW: swan observations (fwd)]

--- Begin Message ---
-----Original Message-----
From: Hanauska-Brown,Lauri [mailto:lhanausk@IDFG.STATE.ID.US]
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2003 10:51 AM
To: Teeter,Lon; Struthers, Kit; Stricklan, Dave; Bundy, Rob;
Losinski,Gregg; Meints,Daryl
Cc: Mitchell, Carl; Long, Bill; Reese, Kerry; Kilpatrick, Darlene;
Hemker,Tom; Munoz, Dick; Patla, Susan; Keysor, Ann; Clegg, Kent
Subject: swan observations

Hello all....I need some volunteers to observe young trumpeter swans at
Bear Lake National Wildlife Refuge this summer.  Below is my request for
volunteers with details of project objectives and equipment needed.  You
are receiving this message in hopes that you will pass it on.   Thanks!

Eleven yearling trumpeter swans are going to be released on the Bear
Lake National Wildlife Refuge in early May.  Eight of these swans will
be wearing neck collars with radios, three others will be wearing
collars only.  We are testing some different radio configurations and
are interested in behavioral differences between the birds with
different collars (i.e., 2 birds will have 2 inch external antennae on
their radio, 2 birds will have embedded antennae, etc.).  The birds are
wing clipped, but will become flighted again in mid July.  We are going
to need some volunteers to monitor swan behavior during the time period
the birds are at the Refuge.  Observation forms will be provided to
volunteers.  A personal vehicle will be required (refuge roads are good,
so high clearance vehicles are not necessary).  Spotting scopes and
binoculars are also a must, these may be available if needed.
Unfortunately, there is no money for gas or food reimbursement, just the
gratitude of all involved in swan conservation.   Any daylight hours and
any days of the week are acceptable for observations.  I will provide a
schedule to all volunteers showing what days they are obligated after I
hear from all potential volunteers.  All interested persons or groups
should provide their name, email address, phone number, and preferred
dates to me no later than May 8.  Thanks for your assistance!
I will be out of the office from April 29 - May 7, I will answer phone
and email inquiries after that time.

Lauri Hanauska-Brown
Wildlife Biologist
Idaho Dept. of Fish and Game