Fwd: Washington County Spring Birds

Birdnet Email -- from the website

----Original Message Follows----
It was submitted by John Schijf - redrockbirder@hotmail.com - on Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 10:42:00

Subject: Washington County Spring Birds

Email_Address: redrockbirder@hotmail.com

Message: I have spent a few days recently in the Pine Valley area and it is as green as I have ever seen it.

Quite a few birds around too: plenty of Spotted and Green-Tailed Towhees calling and displaying. Also I hear Broad-Tailed Hummingbirds everywhere.
I am seeing many Western Bluebirds in Pine Valley. Perhaps the most interesting sighting was a small flock (5 or so) of Red Crossbills in the Ponderosa along the north side of the reservoir. I also saw a Yellow Headed Blackbird in Mountain Meadow--I don't recall seeing many of those in Washington County. Additionally I have seen 3 Lewis' Woodpeckers--one in Central, on in the large Cottonwoods in Pinto, and one on the road between Pine Valley and Pinto. Other birds seen in the Pine Valley-Mt Meadow-Central area in the last week are:

Scrub Jay
Stellars Jay
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel