Hopeful Tarzans

Despite the fact that shorebirds are providing endless and rewarding entertainment at the lake, I seem to be drawn in the other direction.   I offer my birding adventure today as a sample of what's happening in the high montane habitat.  I was drawn to Snow Basin again this weekend in search of more woodpeckers.  I stopped just below the resort to take in the view and listen.   I heard drumming immediately--but drumming of a different kind.  The unmistakable muffled, accelerated thumping told me a Ruffed Grouse drummed below me, down a steep embankment that formed one wall channeling a gushing, snow-melt cataract.  I could see many logs below, but none selected as a favorite by a Ruffed Grouse.  No view from above revealed the musician.  As I walked down the road for a better view, another drummer thumped much closer and from above.  Endless peering, squinting, scanning, and repositioning didn't either reveal the bird, or disturb him.  And then I finally saw him, a fat cresent on the ridgeline, silhouetted against the sky.  He appeared to be poised on a horizontal log.  I could tell this was my quarry by his shape and by the slight movement of the variegated brown plumage.  I waited minutes.  The grouse turned his head slightly.  I imagined he was listening for his competitors below the road where I first heard the drumming.  As I watched intently, trying to see around the brush, he came upright and slowly began to pummel his wings in the air near his flanks and belly.  The first strokes were ineffectual sound makers, but the display grew in strength, sound and speed.  He quickly sounded as if he had pulled the start cord on a lawn mover.  His thumping tapered off just as quickly.  I watched and listened to this demonstration many times at a distance of 70 to 100 feet away.  I paced along the road hoping to find a spot where the understory thinned so I could get a clearer view, but I never did.  Meanwhile, the other thumpers did their best to attract the ladies below.  I could hear at least two others.  Their drumming reverberated off the walls of the stream channel and the hills around us.

Peering up through the undergrowth was the best view I got of the bird, but it was not for lack of trying.  Before I called it quits I decided to circle up behind him on the ridge.  It appeared to me the vegetation was thinner behind him.  I walked well down the road and cut into the brush angling up the ridge.  I was stealthy.  I was sneaky.  I was silent...silent as a human can be anyway, moving through dry leaves and brittle oak branches that grabbed at the fabric of my coat.  I crept up the back side of the ridge, at one point following a game trail that led me through thick scrub oak and toward the towering conifers and aspen at the top.  As I came to within 50 feet of the earnest drummer, I was still when he was still.  I moved when he drummed.  My binoculars were poised and ready.  I searched through the thick underbrush, at times weaving to focus past the nearer branches.  A downy woodpecker picked and poked on a snag behind me.  "Shhhh!" I thought.  "I'm trying to see this grouse!"  Silence again, followed by drumming.  The grouse allowed 3-5 minutes to pass between each drum roll.  And then, a shockingly loud cracking reverberated behind me.  I froze this time because I was SCARED.  Something big was coming.  I realized the game trail I followed up the ridge was probably being used by the one who had made it.  I prayed it wasn't a moose and her calf.  I peered through the gray scrub oak again, looking for a dark, gangly brown behemoth.  Relief!   A mule deer's white flag signaled I was safe.  Three square noses appeared among the branches.  I waved a silent warning, hoping the motion of my arm would discourage them from advancing up the ridge.  They stared in disbelief at the interloper.  Nervous ears wagged and furtive glances my way let me know they would not come closer.  And then Huff!  With a breathy snort, the three bounced off in stiff-legged unison.  Boing, boing, boing.  More disbelief, ear wagging, and furtive glances over their shoulders.  I thought sure the ruckus would end the grouse's drumming.  Not so.  He drummed again, louder, faster, accelerating.  The deer gave another loud huff and I turned to see their white flags crash through the scrub.  That did it.  Despite the comforting drumming from other grouse farther away, my grouse did not drum again.  I supposed the deer crashing through the brush was the woodland equivalent to the fat lady singing.  It was over.  I melted back down the ridge so as not to disturb him in his silence.

To hear the hopeful Tarzans thumping for their Janes, drive .7 miles past the main entrance to Snow Basin down old Snow Basin Road.  You'll find adequate parking at an unpaved turn out loop on the left side of the road.  Leave your car and listen.  If you'd like to preview the sound on your computer, surf to ruffedgrousesociety.org.  Select the link to Ruffed Grouse facts, and scroll down to the picture that offers a .wav drumming demonstration.  Enjoy!

Kris