Causeway and Hyrum Res. Highlights

    Donna and I spent a great Saturday afternoon birding today.  We got a late start at 12:00 and headed straight to the Antelope Island Causeway.  Immediately after passing the guard station we saw a lone Snowy Plover (Adult, breeding) along with several C. Gulls, Willets and Killdeer on the mud in the middle of a large shallow puddle 100-200 yards north of the road.  We saw several Black-bellied Plovers along the lake shore south of the road at mile marker six where they were reported, along with two Dunlin foraging with several hundred American Avocets.  Migration appears to be in full swing and there were thousands of Western Sandpipers and Sanderlings all along the causeway.  We later saw two more Dunlin (one on each side of the road) mixed with the large flocks of peeps.  We checked for the Burrowing Owls on the island, but they were not visible.

    We then made a dash for Hyrum Res. to check for the Red-throated Loon.  We didn't see it, but there were lots of birds at the reservoir, including: Swainson's Hawk (adult, light morph); Western, Clark's and Eared Grebes; Common Loon; Common and Red-breasted Mergansers, C. Gulls, DC Cormorant, Caspian Tern, Broad-Tailed Hummingbird.

    On our way back down Sardine Canyon we pulled off the road near a large puddle (maybe a small lake) and saw lots of Yellow-headed Blackbirds (our first for the year) along with the regular assortment of dabbling ducks and coots.

    Overall, it was amazing to see such large numbers of birds everywhere we went.  Notably absent have been some of the migratory passerines (yellow warbler, lazuli bunting etc.).  Perhaps the weather has gotten warm early this year and I'm a little confused, but it seems like they have arrived by now in past years.  Hopefully, they get here soon, school's out and there isn't much that can beat spring birding.

Matt Thorum
matthewthorum@sisna.com