Fwd: Birdnet Email -- from the website

Subject: Airport Dike

Email_Address: joshkreitzer@yahoo.com

Message: Shelley Stokes, Lina Harris, and myself, Josh Kreitzer went birding this morning along the airport dike. Among the first trees we witnessed an American Kestrel dive-bombing a perched Swainson's Hawk; many White-crowned Sparrows, a Robin, some Cinnamon Teal, a Ruby-crowned Kinglet, and a Hermit Thrush. A little further on we spotted a couple of Chukars across the water near the cows, and a little beyond that two pairs of Red-breasted Mergansers. Further yet, at the bend in the water, we saw Snowy Egrets a Great Blue Heron, and Double-crested Cormorants.
In the fields south of the road we found two male and three female Ring-necked pheasants and Killdeer. In the rocks right along the road as it swings up and then west, we found two more Chukars.
In the excellent wetland south of the road west of the fields, we found: many Cinnamon Teal, a few Gadwall, a pair of Canada Goose, Pelicans, an Avocet flying over, gulls, many Yellow-headed Blackbirds, Northern Shoveler, Clark's Grebe, American Coots, and Black-crowned Night-Heron.
Near the mudflats, further on, I got out and looked at the many swallows and found most to be Tree but with several Bank, Northern Rough-winged, and Barn mixed in.
As the road curved around right next to the lake, we found three still-winter-plumaged Bonaparte's Gulls, mentioned to us earlier by another birder we met on the road. They were swimming in the canal East of the road at the corner. We also found many more American White-Pelicans, both in the canal and flying along the shore of the lake. On the rocky ground on the edge of the road were several Vesper Sparrows.
As we progressed northward, we found a Loggerhead Shrike and Sage Thrasher in the rabbitbrush on the west side of the road, the lake side. In the marshes west of the road we found several more American Avocets and at least three Black-necked Stilts.
Also seen on our journey were: Red-winged Blackbird, Starling, and Black-billed Magpie.
It was a beautiful day of birding. For a first-time trip to the famous Airport dike, it was very rewarding.
Best birding!
Josh Kreitzer