Juab and Sanpete Counties

Greetings!

Julie VanMoorhem and I set out for a little county birding on Sunday.  At Chicken Creek Reservoir, we saw many ducks along with American Avocets, Black-necked Stilts, Snowy Egrets and Pelicans.  In the farmlands around the reservoir, there were Sage Thrashers, Say's Phoebes, Savannah Sparrows and a beautiful pair of Northern Harriers.

En route to Gunnison, there were some Long-billed Curlews and a Ferruginous Hawk.  There was nothing unusual at Ninemile Reservoir, but again there were plenty of ducks.  A pair of Red-breasted Mergansers and a few Tree Swallows were the best birds at Palisade State Park.  At Wales Reservoir, more ducks and some Bonaparte's Gulls.  On the way to our last intended stop in Sanpete County, Maple Canyon, we found a pair of Swainson's Hawks and a Mountain Bluebird.  Maple Canyon looked promising, but we did not drive very far in because of snow.

A great birding day - close to 50 species and exposure to some new birding haunts.

Pomera