Box Elder Birding

One doesn't get the opportunity to see the color purple on a bird very often.  This morning's dawn trip to Box Elder County with Bill Fenimore and the Layton Wild Bird Center gave me that chance as we watched Sharp-tailed Grouse display their inflated purple air sacs and incredible springtime choreography.  Their dance is both beautiful and intriguing.

The birds and humans alike were buffeted hither and yon at Salt Creek Waterfowl Management Area.  What a wind!  The winged ones seemed to shore up against it much better than the homo sapiens did.  Most bird species seemed undaunted while my 12-year old and I cowered behind an impromptu windbreak created with a strategically placed truck.  Migrating species have tapered off.  The few Tundra Swans that remain looked somewhat lonely without the cacophonous swan contingent of just a few weeks ago.  We also saw Sandhill Crane, Double-Crested Cormorant, Franklin's Gull, California Gull, Bufflehead, Northern Shoveler, Northern Pintail, Mallard, Green-winged Teal, Cinnamon Teal, Gadwall, American Wigeon, Redhead, Canvasback, Lesser Scaup, Ruddy Duck, American Avocet, Black-necked Stilt, Clark's Grebe, Eared Grebe, Pied-billed Grebe, American White Pelican, Canada Goose, American Coot, Turkey Vulture, Western Meadowlark, Red-winged Blackbird, Ring-necked Pheasant, Marsh Wren, California Gull, and Northern Harriers in every view, scan, and sweep.  Favorite bird of the site was a Sage Thrasher, discreet in both plumage and behavior, on the southwest side of the intersection of Salt Creek and Box Elder Landfill roads.

We also stopped along the Bear River MBR road in an attempt to see Long-billed Curlews.  How fortunate that Carol Gwynn was already in place, and had picked out our very target wnen we pulled up!  Everyone should be so lucky to have a seeing-eye birder, and I was glad to share the sighting and swap stories.

We packed a lot in to a day that began too many hours before sunrise.  Sleep?  Who needs sleep?  The birds are back!

Kris