an "over-the-top" birding experience

Okay. St. George wasn't exactly "hot" temperature wise this past
weekend, but the birding was! I lucked out.

The field trip I chose on Saturday as part of the St George Bird
Festival provided so many good looks at great birds (some unusual in St
George area in winter) and magical moments of enjoying bird behavior
that I just have to share it.

Here are the highlights as they come to mind and somewhat in order as
they occurred:
(Note: For those that may suspect I was halucinating or am a "stringer"
, Rick Fridell was the leader and can vouch for the sightings.)

*   long looks in good lighting at several Greater Scaup (could even see
green tinge to head) and one Horned Grebe

*   a juvenile Tundra Swan cruising by at eye-level about 50 yds away,
then landing with big feet extended in small pond far below

*   an adult Bald Eagle making pass after pass low over huddled clusters
of coots and finally succeeding in catching his noon meal. He flew away
low over the water.

*    a Cactus Wren (Utah lifer) appeared  out of a small cholla with
something white in his mouth

*    a Sage Sparrow (lifer) popped up in a shrub 1/2 way between my
scope and the Cactus Wren just as Rick stepped to the scope to check the
wren. The sparrow stayed long enough for me to get a good look through
the scope, then jumped to the ground and ran under another shrub.  Most
of us got to see him well as he foraged.

*    a Sage Thrasher was in the same general area.

 *    White-throated Swifts flew low over us in the Huntington Fields at
one stop.

*    stopped to check out Green-winged Teal in small pond surrounded by
trees and were treated to a Kestral chasing a Sharp-shinned Hawk who
landed on pond edge nearly hidden by tree branches

*    great looks at a Roadrunner! (my target bird for the trip) both
standing still and then leaning into his parallel-to-the-ground posture
to run

*   Vermillion Flycatcher (Utah lifer) repeating his post to ground
feeding behavior in light that made his vermillion color glow (or maybe
it just always glows)

*    several cute Burrowing Owls, Inca Doves, Snow and Ross's Geese,
Ladder-backed Woodpecker, 19 waterfowl (including the geese mentioned)
and 7 hawks plus a possible Harlan's Red-tailed Hawk.

The combination of a good field trip leader, 23 pairs of eyes to spot
birds, and very good luck in encountering cooperative birds gave me
probably my best birding day in Utah ever. I'm still exuberant 2 days
later!

Thanks to all who worked so hard to put on this Bird Festival and made
this experience possible.
Deedee O'Brien