RE: Fwd: Dowitchers

I'll try to answer my question in a roundabout way to say that I know that dowitchers and yellowlegs both winter along the southern coast of California, with the yellow legs pushing as far south as South America and Dowitchers as far south as the Central America. Range maps show both winter ranges to move eastward into southern Texas. The dowitchers actually range further into the interior of California, Arizona and New Mexico than the yellowlegs.

They both eat small aquatic invertebrates, so theymust be finding something out on Salt Creek to munch on. It would be interesting to find out where this flock came from. Are they moving farther into the interior because of the lack of food somewhere? Heavy winter pressure from large populations of these species and others, pushing small groups out to look for food? Or are they just passing through early on migration for some unknown reason?

These are the questions that are burning in my mind!!!!