The end . . .

So . . . I survived my five days here in Utah at the start of the year without seeing a starling (of course, I only added six new year-birds during that time), and somehow made it back to Mexico unscathed. But this morning I returned to Salt Lake, and within an hour it was over. While pulling out of the parking lot of Walgreen's in Sugar House my eyed strayed to the power line overhead . . . aaarrgggh!!!! . . . a starling. It's over folks, I lasted until January 25 without a starling on my year list.

I had to wait until I got home before I could figure out how many birds I had seen before adding starling to the list. I had 179 before I crossed back into Mexico, then saw 186 on my trip to the mountains above Mazatlan along the Durango Highway, and 288 in a week's birding around San Blas. But of course, there were many, many duplicates in those lists. So I sat down to figure it out ( with a little help from my son, the math wiz, who corrected an arithmetic error). Looks like starling was number 360 on my year list - a new record to shoot for next year.

On the bright side, I saw 18 species of hummingbirds before a starling, five species of parrots, including a macaw species, Pomarine Jaeger, Red-billed Tropicbird, four species of Jays, two trogons, four buntings etc. etc. etc. Oh, and lots of Fulvous Whistling-Ducks, but none in Utah :-(. And no Boreal Owl either (yet).

I was hoping to add California Quail to my list during the first few days of January, but for some strange reason, none came to my feeders. They were at my feeders today - after the starling . . .

Good birding!

Mark

Mark Stackhouse
mark@westwings.com
801-487-9453 (Salt Lake City, Utah, USA)
011-52-323-285-1243 (San Blas, Nayarit, Mexico)