Two Pygmy-owls in East Canyon

The NORTHERN PYGMY-OWL that has been consistently reported in East
Canyon, Morgan County, on SR-66 between mile marker 4 and 5 became two
owls this afternoon.  Gee-willikers!  It's great to report my own
sightings of this species instead of somebody else's.

I first saw a single pygmy-owl on the downslope shoulder of the road at
mile 4.3.  After a short observation, the bird flew north and I headed
south.  Lo and behold, I saw the owl again on the wire at mile marker 4.
 The short time between the sightings made me suspicious.  Within a half
hour or so, both birds appeared along the road with me in the middle
about 100 yards north of mile marker 4. One bird was using the powerline
to hunt. Eventually, both owls flew across the open pasture area below
the road to the trees lining East Canyon Creek.

A conscientious birder has cleaned up the rainbow of surveyor's tape
that has marked previous sightings because the roadside was starting to
look pretty trashy.  Now the only tape that remains is the new,
pale-pink/lavendar tape I placed at my first sighting at mile 4.3 and
the last sighting of the two owls, about 100 yards north of mile marker
4.

Other birds in the canyon this afternoon include the "usual" species for
this area--Bald and Golden Eagles, two Canyon Wrens in the red rocks
high above the road between mm 4 and 5, and about a dozen Wild Turkeys
above the road at mm 5.  East Canyon Reservoir is almost completely
closed in.  The only species I saw on the ice near a small patch of
water were Canada Geese and Mallards.