Promontory Eagle Survey

Bridget and I did the Promontory Eagle Survey today, and found a good
number of raptors - especially northern harriers!  The route starts at the
bridge over the Bear River just on the east side of Corinne and goes out to
the Golden Spike Road, west, and then south all the way down the Promontory
Road.  Here are some of the numbers:

American Kestrel - 9
Red-tailed Hawk - 7
Rough-legged Hawk - 7
Bald Eagle - 3
Golden Eagle - 6
Cooper's Hawk - 1
Prairie Falcon - 5
Northern Harrier - 122!

The first two golden eagles we saw were close together, along Hwy. 83,
right in the area of Stinky Springs.  I saw a bird perched on the rocks on
the E/N side of the road, so had Bridget pull over.  When we stopped, a
second golden eagle flushed from the long grass right outside my door of
the truck - gave me a little start - this huge, brown bird coming out of
nowhere.  It was interesting to be able to hear the sounds the wings made
as it took off!

The prairie falcons were all along a 3-5 mile stretch of the Promontory
Road - and were ALL sitting on the cross-pieces of utility poles.  We got
excellent, close-up looks at 2 of them.

There were many, many meadowlarks along that road (some were singing - that
was pleasant!), as well as ring-necked pheasants and red-winged blackbirds.
There were occasional small mixed flocks of white-crowned sparrows and
juncoes.  At Thiokol Ranch, there was a huge flock of Canada geese with two
snow geese mixed in.  Also, quite a few mallards, a few common goldeneyes,
coots, and a couple of gadwalls.

Was really a fun day - and GREAT to get out of the office - my boss
relented when I begged for the key to my ball and chain...

Betsy Beneke
Outdoor Recreation Planner
Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge
2155 West Forest Street