Re: Salem "Trumpeter Swan"

Hello All,
      I had been considering going down to Salem and once even the slightest bit of controversy was raised, I had no choice.  My wife and I headed down on Sunday afternoon.  I had looked at a few pictures and consulted a few field guides but wasn't 100% for either species.  I took some photos which I have yet to look at but what I saw solidified the identification of Trumpeter Swan.

     Thanks to Lu for such a great discussion...and for reference to Kevin McGowan's website (a great reference for several ID challenges).  I was a Cayugabirder (Ithaca, NY area) once upon a time and still lurk on that list. Not only is Dr. McGowan a Sapsucker (Cornell Lab of O World Series of Birding team) and an accomplished ornithologist but he is a true birder who is out in the field, posting about rare birds and teaching others.  That said, he is the ultimate cynic bringing the term "beyond a reasonable doubt" to a new level.

     Anyway, back to the Swan. I think that perhaps the most confusing thing about this juvenile bird was the fact that the eye did not seem as "included" in the bill as is seen with most adult Trumpeters.  The bare patch connecting the eye seemed thinner, suggesting Tundra. It could have been the coloration of the bill but perhaps it is the age, as Lu suggested.  That was the one thing that troubled me the most in looking at a few of the photos.  Other minor things were that the bill didn't quite have as much black as the Sibley Western Guide depicts and in some of the brighter photos, the swan's body appeared rather white (suggesting the molt of Tundra).  In the photos, I saw other features that suggested Trumpeter but I was finally convinced when I saw firsthand the big, flat-topped bill (not at all concave), the V on the forehead (clearly unlike the Tundra Photo on McGowan's page) and the blocky head. While I don't think this is as diagnostic, the overall coloration was browner than some of the photos seem to imply.

     Lastly, and certainly not diagnostic, was the behavior.  The Trumpeter Swan seemed to dance (rocking back and forth) in the shallows along the west side of the pond.  This presumably was to stir up all the good food from the muck at the bottom.  It was neat to watch very a very shy and submissive Common Goldeneye take advantage of the disturbance.  He snuck in and dove and then emerged from behind the swan and swam away as if nothing happened.

Good Birding,
Matt Williams
Provo, UT