White-throated Sparrow

Hi,

Judy and I spotted a White-throated Sparrow up City Creek Canyon this
morning around 11 am. It was all by itself, looking very lonesome and
lost. It seemed to respond quite readily to pishing, probably because it
was so lonesome and looking for a friend.

The location was just below picnic area #12, which is the spot on the
left, right before where the covered reservoir used to be. The bird was
first heard, then seen, flying from the bushes on the south side of the
road to the bushes on the north side. The bushes were right next to a
white gate on the trail above. There's also a tower right there with 3
big gray electrical transformers on it. However, I would be surprised if
the bird stayed in that location. He seemed to be looking for friends.
On our way down the canyon, it was no longer there. I took some
pictures, which I'll post on my website later on.

For you Google Earth types, coordinates of the sighting are:

40.805857 degrees latitude
-111.858871 degrees longitude

We had no luck on locating our target birds: Winter Wren, Golden-crowned
Kinglets, or a Northern Pygmy-Owl. It was pretty slow birding until this
little guy showed up. He made our day :-)

Jim Bailey
2032 Ribbon Lane
Holladay, UT 84117
(801) 274-8034

A  hobby must be in a large degree useless, inefficient, laborious or
irrelevant -Aldo Leopold