Fwd: N.Pygmy-Owl and Evening Grosbeaks

Birdnet Email -- from the website

----Original Message Follows----
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 14:31:44 -0700 (MST)

It was submitted by Sylvia Gray.

Subject: N.Pygmy-Owl and Evening Grosbeaks

Email_Address: pdggray@xmission.com

Message: The first Wednesday of every month GSLAudubon does a bird survey in Mountain Dell Recreation Area, in Parley's Canyon. This morning it was pretty quiet and we had seen only 12 species until Jack Clark noticed a round lump sticking out on the end of a bare branch. I jokingly said, Northern Pygmy-Owl. We were all cursing that we had left our scopes back in the car. However, moving forward cautiously we were able to get very close to the tree and sure enough a N.Pygmy Owl it was! What a cutie. This was by the stream that forms the northern edge of the recreation area.

Feeling elated we wandered back towards the car completely unconcerned by the lack of birds until I saw a small flock high up on a bare tree. Glancing upwards I was thinking probable House Finches when we noticed patches of yellow. That got our attention in a hurry. Indeed there were 17 Evening Grosbeaks, both male and female. This was in the Washington Park area. Another treat, we couldn't believe our luck. We have been surveying this area for a little under two years now and had seen 100 species before today. The owl made it 101 and the grosbeaks 102. I wonder what 103 will be? Pomera Fronce and Allene Keller were the other happy birders.

  Sylvia Gray