To: "birdtalk" <birdtalk@utahbirds.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 01, 2006 9:12 PM
Subject: Out on a limb

Today while walking the JR Parkway N of 78th S in W Jordan (right by the water treatment plant) 4 p.m., I saw a bird that by all appearances (size, shape, characteristics, head shape) seemed to be a Northern Flicker. Only problem was the coloring....this bird was black, or slightly variegated black...somewhat like a Starling. I saw it flying away, then roosting with backside towards me, then further away on the ground from the side. From the side view, I noticed how black the head was....slightly blacker than body/wings.

It was so Flicker-like that I figured it to be a rare Red-Tailed Hawk
morph of the Norther Flicker (private joke). From the perching rear
view, the tailfeathers were Flickerlike...pointy and curved at the tip
like a woodpecker's tail. I saw no visible white striping or patches
anywhere on this bird.

Consulting Sibley later, I can find no match to what I saw.

My only explanation for the dark coloring, given the proximity to the
sewer treatment plant, is chemical mutation ;-)

Could this be a Flicker? Three-toed? I saw NO yellow. It was big like a
Flicker. Same shape head and everything.
Mystified.
John

ps: Beaver activity escalating. Another tree felled, this time with some
branches removed. A trail takes off from the tree to the south along the
steep edge of the riverbank. Just north of the wooden deck overlook
that's just S of the treatment plant.