San Juan county CBC (sort of)

I spent a few days earlier this week in San Juan county conducting an
informal CBC (Christmas bird count). Of course it does not count since
(1.) I took longer than one day, (2.) my count circle had a radius
significantly larger than six miles, and (3.) I didn't really count most
of the individuals as much as make an attempt to see which species were
around. Also I did not register my work with the Audubon society, the
group that sponsors CBCs.

I have to say that I've never seen so many dark-eyed juncoes in my life.
Almost all of the surface water in the county that I checked was either
nearly or completely frozen, with the exceptions of Ken's lake and the
San Juan river, but there were still significant numbers of water fowl,
including one field just east of Bluff that must have had over 500
Canada geese in it Wednesday afternoon. Pleasant surprises included the
Barrow's goldeneyes, white-winged doves, all of the owls, the black
phoebe, American tree sparrows, and evening grosbeaks. My time was spent
mostly from Monticello south to Bluff, and to the east to Montezuma
canyon.These are areas which I previously covered in October.

Lu Giddings

trip list: 67 species
Pied-billed Grebe
Great Blue Heron