Fw: [IBLE] Snowy Owl caution

----- Original Message -----
From: Charles Swift
To: IBLE
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 1:33 PM
Subject: Snowy Owl caution

Hi All -

Just a caution that pale owls such as Barn Owls often get reported as
Snowy
Owls. Even pale Great Horned Owls seen at dusk could be reported as
Snowy
Owls by those unfamiliar with our resident owls. Snowy Owls are
primarily
diurnal (or active near dusk on sunny days) and are generally found in
large
fields, beaches, or shorelines. They often perch in the open on the
ground
or on posts or telephone poles but rarely in trees.

A report of a pale owl flying near a road after dark is almost certainly
Barn Owl. In fact many will probably remember that in heavy snow years
large
numbers of Barn Owls are killed along highways from vehicle collisions.
The
way this winter is shaping up that seems a distinct possibility.

I believe Snowy Owls are quite rare in Idaho south of the Palouse
region.
Maybe Shirley can provide a list of records for the past 10 years or so?
Another challenge is the large area and small number of birders in the
state
so it may be a needle in a haystack proposition to find a Snowy Owl.
Nevertheless it is certainly worth looking in likely areas if there are
lot around and they move south. I would keep an eye on birding lists in
the
region (see http://www.birdingonthe.net/birdmail.html) to get an idea of
how
extensive and what area the current invasion might involve.

thanks, Charles.

************************************
Charles Swift
charless@uidaho.edu