Fw: [IBLE] Snowy Owl sighting

----- Original Message -----
From: SJPeterson@aol.com
To: ible@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 11:30 AM
Subject: Re: Snowy Owl sighting

In a message dated 11/29/2005 9:25:03 AM Alaskan Standard Time,
rowlandrl@aol.com writes:
  "ible", RL here.
  Yes I am back from Georgia. Later will post a final note about my
trip.
  Anyway, just had a call a few minutes ago from a lady down in Owyhee
Co. She & her husband run a dairy just off Crane Falls Rd. Yesterday, 27
Nov, she found a Snowy Owl hunting in one of their pastures. She was
able to get a positive id. She has been looking for it again, today,
with no success, as yet. As soon as she relocates it she'll call me & I
will be off to confirm.

IBLE and RL,

Charles Swift of Moscow, Idaho, posted the following message on the
INLAND-NW-BIRDERS listserv earlier this morning...  Snowy Owl searchers
may find it useful!

*************************

For those who don't follow the west side (of the Cascades) birding lists
such as tweeters and OBOL, there is an impressive Snowy Owl invasion in
progress. Until recently it seemed this invasion was mostly confined to
coastal areas but I just saw on the Montana list that a number of Snow
Owls have appeared around Sommers, MT  on the Flathead Lake south of
Kalispell.

It would be worthwhile to check some of the likely regional locations
such as the Rathdrum Prairie and the areas west of Spokane. Snowy Owls
have been notoriously hard to find on the Palouse in recent years but
this may be the year. The last time they were on the Palouse the fields
east of Genesee hosted Snowies. Also worth checking are Mann Lake and
surrounding fields, Anatone flat, and fields around Moscow and Pullman.
It will be interesting to see if they appear in our area.

thanks, Charles.
****************************

I haven't seen any Snowy Owls in the Anchorage, Alaska area lately, but
we do have quite a bit of snow and unseasonably cold temps right now...
(It's - 4 F as I type at 9:30 AM local time).

Cheers,

--Stacy Jon Peterson
20252 Lucas Ave
Eagle River, AK 99577
Stacy@trochilids.com
http://www.trochilids.com

To view archived messages go to:

http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/ible

To view the IBLE Photos archive go to:

      Nikon d70 digital camera  Birding  Zoom lens

  c..  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service.