Mirror Lake highway birds

Mirror Lake highway (State Road 150) birds were not nearly as numerous
this morning as they were on 11/13 of last year when large flocks of
American robins, Townsend's solitaires, and cedar waxwings were found in
the flats and groves along the highway west of Soapstone Basin ( mostly
between mm 11-14, if memory serves me). Perhaps this should not be a
surprise, since winter to this point has been far milder this year than
last. Too, the pines along the highway are far less burdened with cones
than those seen last weekend on Forest Road 088 in San Juan county.
Perhaps the birds are wintering elsewhere or have not yet moved down out
of the high country.

Still, flocks of birds seem to be gathering. Groups of up to 15-25
American robins, similarly sized groups of Townsend's solitaires, and
smaller groups of Steller's jays (up to 6 in one group) and Clark's
nutcrackers (up to 7 in one group) were observed between Beaver Creek
(mm 8) and Soapstone Basin (mm 14). Very few birds were observed beyond
Shady Dell (about mm 17). Notable observations made this morning include
a juvenile northern goshawk around mm 17 and an adult golden eagle
circling just above the tree tops near mm 20. Black-billed magpies,
common ravens, dark-eyed juncos, and mountain chickadees were also
observed at various points along the road this morning.

Yesterday evening the Utah DOT website stated that State Road 150 was
clear and dry all the way from Kamas to Mirror Lake gate. As I drove
past mm 6 early this morning, with snow spitting down out of leaden
skies, a large sign warned that the road was closed eight miles ahead.
The truth, as well as the end of the road, I found, was somewhere in the
middle. The road was damp but clear up to the Murdock Basin cut-off,
beyond mm 20. From that point, snow began to accumulate on the road and
was roughly 6-8" deep by mm 25, just below the Trial Lake road, at which
point I wimped out and turned around. I suspect today's storm has
finally closed the portion of the high county made accessible by S.R.
150 to cars and trucks until next June.

Lu Giddings