Merlin in the wind

Bird doldrums setting in? Maybe this will help.

Saw something today that left me quite breathless and in awe. Perhaps
not the kind of thing that would impress some of you, or maybe not in
this same way, but as builder/flyer of radio controlled sailplanes one
gets a feel for airframe efficiency in glide distance vs sink rate; for
speed in relation to wing-loading; for slow min-sink thermaling vs
high-speed aerobatics.

Model construction has come a long way with modern composites. Sailplane
pilots flying the average 10' span modern designed craft often often
out-perform Red-Tailed hawks in a thermal. So it is with a small sense
of smugness that we observe the average Buteo working lift; nonetheless,
much respect is had for the bird's sixth sense in finding lift, and
being able to actually feel the vacuum of lift and the laminar (or not)
airflow at slow soaring speeds.

That being said, and now speaking of myself, I have a huge amount of
respect for the Falcon family as a whole; for their power, their speed,
their agility. In my book, they rule the skies. Not from size and weight
as Eagles would, but from acceleration, willingness to dive and fly
extremely fast and their other amazing aspects. Let's just say that if
there's a meal to be had, the Falcon gets the job done.

Today was quite windy, and of all odd places to witness this, the
parking lot behind Chili's by the E-Center would be the least likely
place!

While standing there talking to a friend, I noticed a bird pass by in a
high-speed, shallow downwind dive. Conversation stopped as I turned to
watch what was instinctively an American Kestrel or Merlin. In a dynamic
soaring kind of move typical of an Albatross at sea, the bird came to
within 10' of the ground (where windspeed is slowed by earth's friction)
and suddenly turned upwind and converted all that speed to forward
energy to penetrate against the wind. Climbing back up to near 80' above
ground, the bird made AMAZING headway into the wind with nary a flap of
the wings that were still folded close to the torso as if in a stoop.
I've never seen a Kestrel fly so powerfully; so agressively. Though
Kestrel-sized, this bird was browner, stronger looking and less lanky.
An American Kestrel could never have penetrated against that much wind
for that length of time without flapping. Had to be a Merlin. Definite
pointy wings of a Falcon, but wingloading characteristics that would
defy a Kestrel.

No sailplane model of any kind could have converted the forward energy
from downwind speed to headwind penetration as efficiently as did this
bird!

As it's speed finally begin to slow, the bird began to heel off into a
crosswind direction again and was soon out of sight beyond buildings to
the west, likely looking for its next place to build speed enough to
turn upwind again.

Wow. A far cry from watching the bird perched, as so commonly they are
seen. It is truly amazing to see these birds in action! In the
turbulence of the situation this bird was so quick and agile....more so
than I'd ever witnessed and at higher airspeeds than I'd ever been
priviledged to see. And with so little flapping. That was perhaps the
most amazing part of all this.

Birding where you'd least expect it,
John