Mergs and Goldeneyes at East Canyon

All three merganser species were present at East Canyon Reservoir in
Morgan County today--HOODED, Red-breasted, and Common.  Six Hooded
Mergansers (five males and a female) and a male Bufflehead swam in the
reservoir at the south end adjacent to mile marker 16 of SR-65.  A mixed
flock of the other two species were on the opposite shore from the road,
about .1-.2 miles further north.  A few Common Mergansers also swam in
the water east of the road and east of the Taylor Hollow area.

A flotilla of 12 goldeneyes also swam in the same area.  All of the
adults--six males and two females--were BARROW'S GOLDENEYES.  The
remaining four were juveniles.

Other species on the water included many Common Loons, a few Western
Grebes and a few Mallards.

An adult Bald Eagle looked pretty comical on a Great Blue Heron nest at
the Henefer wastewater treatment lagoons in Summit County.  A second
Bald Eagle was perched on a cottonwood tree along the Weber River.

East Canyon Reservoir can be reached from I-80 exit 134 in Parley's
Canyon (about 16 miles from there over Big Mountain Pass, which will
likely close soon for the season), or from I-84 exits 112 or 115 in
Henefer (about 8 miles to the reservoir from Henefer).