Fwd: California Condor

Birdnet Email -- from the website

----Original Message Follows----
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 20:40:44 -0600 (MDT)

It was submitted by justicefam@infowest.com

Subject: California Condor

Email_Address: justicefam@infowest.com

Message: Today, 15 October 2005, at approximately 11:00am--12:00pm, my two children and I saw at least 3 California Condors--two of them in flight for a short time gliding on the updrafts from Kolob Creek Canyon to the south of Kolob Reservoir in southern Utah. Condor #96 is the one that we did not see in flight. In fact, I almost missed it, as it sat on a boulder on the edge of the canyon the entire time we were there. On our return from Kolob Reservoir, I noticed two very large birds gliding around and pulled over to take a look at them with my binoculars since I knew they were bigger than the turkey vultures I am accustomed to seeing. The two in the air circled around for quite a while, coming very close to the pull off where I was watching them. As I returned to my vehicle, I looked back to see if they were returning. That is when I noticed a solitary bird just sitting on a boulder on the edge of the canyon. I got back out of my vehicle and approached the opposite side of the
 canyon maybe 50 yards away from #96. With my binoculars and a zoom on my digital camera I could make out it's wing tag number very clearly. As we were admiring the bird, the other two that had been circling around came back and landed. The first one landed only about 10 yards away from #96 and I couldn't quite make out it's number although it could have been #75. The third condor landed on the same side of the canyon as we were on--approximately 50 yards away from us; but, it landed on the other side of some trees and we were not able to view it at all. It was a great birding experience! Several other spectators came along after they saw us gawking at the incredible birds! We love living here in southern Utah, where we have been able to observe Bald Eagles, Golden Eagles, an Osprey (actually catching a fish on Kolob Reservoir--now that was an experience and a half!), lots of hawks, ravens, Turkey Vultures, Turkeys, Pheasants, Quail, and now the California Condor!