Re: Red or Red-necked Phalaropes at AI

Nice photos Carol, and a good find. The short, rather thick and blunt-tipped bill makes these birds Red Phalaropes. Also of note is the rather plain back (thought the dark feathers show that these birds are still in the molt). Red-necked Phalaropes have thinner, somewhat longer (but not much) bills that taper quite finely to a needle-like tip. The head markings could go either way, though Red-necked Phalarope tends to have a bit more dark across the top of the head. On the back, Red-necked Phalaropes have more whitish markings (they show a wing-stripe in flight) and a lees or the plain gray that both Red and Wilson's Phalaropes have.

Great sighting!

Mark

Mark Stackhouse
mark@westwings.com
801-487-9453 (Salt Lake City, Utah, USA)
011-52-323-285-1243 (San Blas, Nayarit, Mexico)