Re: Traveller looking for western birds, especially raptors

Alan,

First, buy a good map of Utah.

Several areas within 2 hours of SLC host concentrations of wintering
raptors.  You could head south on I-15 to Utah County's exit 279, Lehi. (To
the Lehi Main Street exit--about 20 minutes south of SLC?). Pick up state
highway 73 and head west toward Tooele.  In Tooele, pick up state highway 36
north to I-80, and then back to SLC.  The Lehi-through-Tooele-to-I-15 route
is known as Raptor Loop and you might see several species of falcons
(including Prairie), eagles, several species of buteos (including
Ferruginous).  Just 10 days ago many Ferruginous were reported about 20
miles south of Tooele in Rush Valley at the intersection of state highway 36
and 99.  See David Wheeler's post at:

http://utahbirds.org/listarchives/birdtalk/msg02538.html

You could head farther south on I-15 through Utah County to Juab County. (45
minutes to an hour south of SLC) Take exit 233, Mona, and then head west
into Mona.  At the stop sign, either drive north along the frontage road
that eventually intersects I-15 again at Santaquin or head west and drive
around Mona Reservoir.  See a 2003 message I posted after being overwhelmed
by Mona's raptors:

http://utahbirds.org/listarchives/birdnet/msg00510.html

You could head north on I-15 to exit 332, Antelope Drive.  Then head west on
Antelope Drive 7 miles to Antelope Island State Park.  Drive the 7-mile
causeway and then south on the island to Garr Ranch.  You might see
Peregrine and Prairie Falcons along the causeway and Golden Eagles,
Red-tailed Hawks, Cooper's Hawks, Sharp-shinned Hawks, and up to four falcon
species on the island (Prairie, Peregrine, Merlin, Kestrel).  The park
requires a $9.00 entrance fee.

You could head north on I-15 three counties to Box Elder County.  Take exit
365, Corinne, and head west on state highway 13.  Highway 13 intersects
state highway 83 in the middle of Corinne.  Head west on 83 toward the
Golden Spike National Historic site, and watch the power poles and rocky
outcroppings.  Highway 83 winds north around Thiokol through the small town
of Howell and eventually intersects I-84 at exit 24.  Then you could head
back south again, pick up I-15, and return to SLC.  All the raptors I've
mentioned above might be found along state highway 83, except I've never
seen Ferruginous there.

Finally, you could go really far north almost to the Idaho border to the
town of Snowville.  I think this location still fits within your 2-hour
circle.  Take I-15 north to I-84 west, exit 5.  Turn west and head toward
Park Valley.  Watch power poles, irrigation equipement, and agricultural
fields for raptors just 1-3 miles west of the interstate.  I saw seven
Ferruginous Hawks there last week and have seen Rough-legged Hawks and
Prairie Falcons there in the past.

November is late for Swainson's Hawks around here.  These hawks are have
already made their major push through Utah and are presently streaming south
to their wintering grounds in Argentina.  A November sighting might be
unlikely.

At least two birding groups are hosting bird walks during your stay.  The
Wild Bird Center of Layton (about 30 minutes north of SLC) hosts a birdwalk
on Saturday, November 5, to the Weber River Trail in Riverdale.  The walk
departs the store at 10:00 a.m. Write to Bill Fenimore at birderb@aol.com
for more details.  The Wasatch Audubon Society hosts a birdwalk to the Ogden
River Parkway (about 45 minutes north of SLC) on Wednesday, November 9 at
8:30 a.m.  Write to Mort Somer at utecoot@att.net for more details.  I'm
sure more information will become available as other area groups publish
their
November newsletters.

For more information on places to bird, Launch the this link from the Utah
Birds website:  http://www.utahbirds.org/counties/SiteIndex.htm and check
out the county links.  Be aware that I-15's exits have recently been
renumbered and all the I-15 exit numbers listed on the county pages might
not be correct. The exits I've listed in the message above match the new
numbering system.

Good luck!

Kris