West Desert 'Loop'

Hi all,
 Tim Avery and I went birding around the west desert this past weekend.
Although, we did not encounter any 'eastern' vagrants as hoped, we happened

to see a few good birds this weekend. We started the weekend by driving to

Lucin (Box Elder Co.) via Pilot Peak Road Friday night where we saw several

COMMON POORWILLS, 1 SHORT-EARED OWL and at least 15 BURROWING OWLS (nearly

hit several) on and along the entire length of the road. The trip then went

a little unaccording to plan when we encountered a large group partying
under the trees at Lucin, and a major windstorm that accompanied the passag
of the cold front around midnight...did I mention, I also left my sleeping

bag at home. Anyway, we woke up Saturday morning to much calmer winds,
hungover people wondering what in the world we were doing (I think they
figured out we were 'bird watching'), and a few birds at Lucin. Among the

more common species, we did find one WINTER WREN. Other species, which we

saw that we did not encounter elswhere included one SHARP-SHINNED HAWK, a

HERMIT THRUSH, a PLUMBEOUS VIREO, and a GREEN-TAILED TOWHEE. Next, we drove

north a couple of miles to checkout Owl and Rabbit Springs (Box Elder Co).

The highlights here were a LINCOLN'S SPARROW and a HAMMOND'S FLYCATCHER tha
allowed close study. Next we headed south along Pilot Peak Road back to
Wendover where we saw a PRAIRIE FALCON, a GOLDEN EAGLE and a COOPER'S HAWK

hunting along the road. Along the way, we stopped and gained permission to

bird one property that appeared to be one of the less desirable migrant
traps (we saw only common species). Although we were not able to find the

landowner(s) of the major property(-ies) containing cottonwood stands, the

landowner that allowed us to bird his land believed that the other owner(s)

of the land along the road would allow us to bird there in the
future...something I look forward to doing sooner than later! Anyway, Tim

and I then headed south and eventually made it to the Pony Express Road. We

stopped in Callao (Juab Co.) and saw quite a few migrants from the
road...some of which included one HAMMOND'S FLYCATHCER, three DUSKY
FLYCATCHERS, loads of W. WOOD-PEWEES, one CASSIN'S VIREO (apparently Tim's

500th or 501st life bird...depending on the outcome of the jaeger), a HOUSE

WREN, lots of WILSON'S AND YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS, a YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT

and a KINGBIRD sp. I really was upset that I let the kingbird disappear
before observing it well (presumably it was a Western, but we are starting

to get into the time of year when Westerns are increasingly unlikely and
Tropicals could show up). Finally, Tim and I headed to Fish Springs NWR
where we did a little birding before meeting my parents to go camping for

the night. Songbirds at Fish Springs were as scarce as I have seen! However
,
we did find a first for the refuge in the housing area, which happened to b
a long overdue BEWICK'S WREN. Later that evening, we headed out onto the
refuge where we did find one juvenile STILT SANDPIPER and two (possibly
three) SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHERS mixed in a flock of 12 basic plumaged
LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS. The two Short-billed Dowitchers appeared to be
juvenile birds that had nearly molted into basic plumage. However, they
appeared to still have the mantle feathers from juvenile plumage (dark
feathers that had a noticeable buffy edge to them, as well as a couple
(literally 2 or 3) of scapular feathers that had the prominent buffy edges

from their juvenile plumage). There was also an adult dowitcher a hundred o
more yards away that appeared to be in near alternate plumage. Although not

a lot is known on molt timing in dowitchers, I believe it would be fairly

(to extremely) rare to find a Long-billed Dowitcher in near alternate
plumage at this time of year. I need to consult with a buddy of mine from

Cornell who supposedly 'specializes' in dowitcher molt. The next (Sunday)

morning we walked around the housing and picnic areas with my parents and

saw few migrants. The songbird highlights from the morning were studying
five or more basic plumage LAZULI BUNTINGS (one of which, had quite a bit o
fine streaking on the chest and sides despite appearing fairly buffy on the

chest...I'm not quite sure what to make of it), one semi-early AMERICAN
PIPIT, two TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRES, one GRAY FLYCATCHER, and again a KINGBIRD

SP!!!. I literally saw it for two or three seconds before it dipped out of

sight behind a tree...to never be seen again (at least by me)! Waterbird
changeover included the addition of a near alternate plumage BLACK-BELLIED

PLOVER on Avocet Unit, and the inability of us in relocating the Stilt
Sandpiper and Short-billed Dowitchers.
 Check ebird or email me privately for a complete list of birds (and
numbers) at each site and/or questions you may have!.
 Colby