UOS Quick Trips

The Utah Ornithological Society just completed their annual convention,
this time in Logan.  Among many events there were the following changes:
 the new president is Betsy Beneke, a fireball of energy and knowledge;
secretary is Pomera Fronce, and we know how knowledgeable and interested
in helping others find birds she is; new Field Trip Coordinators are
Steve Carr and Tony Jones.  At first, we will have two thrusts-
1- We will research some very uncommon to rare birds on the Utah
checklist and develop a trip to one or two of these per year, which may
require a one- or two-day overnight stay.  To this end, we would solicit
your input as to which birds you might be most interested in locating.
2- We would like to help coordinate the immediate and impromptu location
of rare birds that are reported to the BirdNet/BirdTalk lines.  We
realize that there are limitations, such as meeting places, days of the
week, distances to travel, etc.  We also realize that others, such as
Tim Avery and Kris Purdy, kind of already do something similar, at least
in reporting finds.

If possible, we would like the person reporting the bird to specify as
closely as possible where the bird was seen, what time of day, and the
type of plumage - breeding, basic, fall, etc.  They can either put the
information on the Birdline or e-mail or call us directly.  If at all
possible, it may be that the reporting person might be able to meet with
a group the next day to direct us to the location.

Then, if the bird is likely to stick around for a few days, we will
notify on the BirdNet under the subject - "UOS Quick Trip" and will
specify what time and location there will be someone there to help
coordinate and carpool to the site.

Please feel free to notify one or both of us by our separate e-mail
addresses or phone numbers, and also to give us suggestions as to how we
can make this concept work better.

Steve Carr
stevecarr9@msn.com<mailto:stevecarr9@msn.com>
801-277-7711 (Salt Lake City)