August... The month of the Sandpiper

Rather long, just an over view of August! Delete if not interested.
What a Month!

In a month with 31 days, a lot can happen.  In the birding world, that means 31
days to look at birds.  That also means 31 different days on which something
rare might show up.  But who would have guessed that this August would have
been what it was.  I think without argument it could be said that this was by
far the best month of birding in Northern Utah.  Even more amazing would be to
say that it was the best birding at one location in the state, the Great Salt
Lake.  It is hard to say why this year was different from the past four or
five.   At Antelope Island however, it was obvious that water levels were
starting to return to somewhat of a normal level.  On a long term basis, the
water is still extremely low, but compared to the last three summers, it was
definitely up.
	July didn't bring much in the way of rarities to Utah and Bear River as well as
AIC left little to the wanted.  It was looking like a typical summer, with a
slow shorebird migration, and no great birding in sight.  And then it started.
Maybe it was the few rain storms that blazed in and left puddles of freshwater
in areas that were dry, or maybe it was storms to the north that made for a
push of birds south.  Who knows?  Btu what can be said with some degree of
certainty, is that it started what could be called a migration for the history
books.  On August 1st (a true start to the month) Kris Purdy birding Bear River
NWR saw 10 species of shorebird, fairly typical for this time of year, maybe
even a bit on the low side.  The highlights were a SOLITARY SANDPIPER, and
MARBLED GODWIT.  It looked as if August was off to its usual start, but usual
wasn't even close to the correct assumption.
	The mention of some shorebirds is enough to get people out on the prowl, and
that is when rarities start to show up.  August 4th, I decided to make my first
big shorebird run of the summer. The plan was to hit Bear River, AIC, and end
up at Farmington Bay.  I believe my exact take on that first day was summed up
in two words, "Shorebird Bonanza!"  Bear River was chock full of shorebirds,
including a great find in 2 SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER, which were parading around
with a flock of about 600 LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER.  But this was just the start
of what would be a great day of birds.  Also seen at the refuge was a flock of
another 900 Long-billed, as well as 105 MARBLED GODWIT.  However the one thing
still lacking was Sandpipers, and I left Bear River with only 14 species of
shorebird, not much better that 3 days prior.
	After hitting Bear River I ran down to Antelope Island, where the real
shorebird bonanza was happening.  The sheer number of birds now is the most I
have seen on the causeway.  Between MM 5 - 6 was where all the activity was
happening.  A lone Juvenile RED PHALAROPE was in a mixed flock of Red-necked
and Wilson's Phalarope just 50
yards to the south of the Causeway.  The birds were about 250 yards from MM 5.
But that was just a start as I also found, Snowy Plover, Semipalmated Plover, 8
 RED KNOT, Western Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper, Baird's Sandpiper, and even 1
PECTORAL SANDPIPER.  As I tallied up my numbers I realized I had seen 22
species of shorebird for the day, and was content with August, in just the
first week.  Was I ever in for a surprise.
	August 5th just one day later brought more good news, as Dennis Williams
located a RUDDY TURNSTONE along the causeway, which was still seen through the
17th of August.  On August 7th just two days later Jack Binch located a
WHIMBREL, and Steve Coleman found two on the 8th.  The Patagonia Roadside
Effect was taking place at the causeway.  I traveled back to the causeway on
the 11th hoping to pick up something new, and was treated to 2 AMERICAN
GOLDEN-PLOVER, as well as 21 other species of shorebird, including
Black-bellied Plover, 22 Semipalmated Plover, and 2 Pectoral Sandpipers.  I
wrapped up my post to the Utah BIRDNET with the following line, "Start keeping
your eyes peeled for a Curlew Sandpiper or a Wandering Tattler, WHO KNOWS?"  I
was only half serious knowing these birds were rare, but it was the right time
of year, so who really does know?
	Like magic, August 15th would be the day that really made the month.  It
started, as Pomera Fronce located a juvenile SABINE's GULL along the causeway,
and would get better when we received news that evening that Joel and Kathy
Beyer had found a CURLEW SANDPIPER.  The bird was in the area near MM 6 that
had been left puddle with somewhat fresh water and was a shorebird haven at the
time. On the 16th a number of Utah birders were on location in search, but all
the looking turned up nothing.  It was gut wrenching news on the 17th when
Glenn Barlow called to let me know that Clay Taylor of Swarovski had relocated
the bird.  Again, on the 18th a number of Utah birders scoured the causeway,
and again walked away empty handed.
	For almost 10 days nothing else was reported of note from the causeway.  Then
on the 25th it was reported that Keith Evans, John Belson, and Jack Rensel had
again located the bird, now between MM 4-5 on the south side of the causeway.
Then on the 26th Steve Carr, Bob Huntington, and Jack Binch were all treated to
looks at the bird in the same general area.  On the 27th the causeway was again
covered with birders in search.  By 10:00 am nothing had been seen and most
gave up and headed out for the day.  Lu Giddings remained scanning each
incoming and leaving flock of birds.  I was scanning a flock of peeps at the
area a 1/2 mile west of the bridge, when I noticed a larger bird off and to the
rear of the group.  I started to focus on the bird, as it stretched its wings,
showing a white stripe on the wings and a white rump.  However, the bird
immediately flew with the other 50 or so birds that took off.  As the birds
flew this individual remained a little above the group, with a different wing
beat than the group of mostly Baird's Sandpiper, and 2 Pectoral Sandpiper.
	Although I cannot say with 100% certainty it was the bird, as there is the
possibility it was a White-rumped Sandpiper, also rather rare in Utah.  My gut
tells me it was the CUSA, and in all likelihood it was.  Nothing was seen the
rest of the day, as Lu Giddings remained till around 7 pm with no luck.
	There it is, the month of the Sandpiper, or should I say sandpipers, or go even
broader and say the month of the shorebirds?  It was quite a month, and it is
hard to tell when we will have something like this happen again.  Maybe
September will bring a Jaeger, or some good eastern vagrants.  As I always say,
keep your eyes peeled!

GREAT BIRDING

Tim
Salt Lake City, UT and Southwest, WY