Ptarmigan Follies

It's funny how trying to find a bird can often turn into "insanity to
find a bird".  On Saturday morning my dad and I left Salt Lake at 2:45
for the 3 and a1/2 hour drive to Leidy Peak.  The point of the day was
to find and photograph White-tailed Ptarmigan.  For me it would be a
reunion with a bird I first encountered near Gunsight Pass about 8 years
ago.  For my dad it would be a first.  I planned ahead, and brought my
GPS to mark where I found birds if any, and my tripod and all that heavy
equipment.  This is probably where my day starts to go sour.  My pack
frame weighed about 45 pounds, to my dads 10 pound back pack.  But, as
those of you whom know me, can see, I am a big boy and can handle the
weight.  It took about 15 minutes to hike the 3/4 of a mile to the
southeast corner of the peak.  My plan was to go up, my dads was to go
check out some lakes and meet me on the mountain around 11:30 for lunch.
 So I headed up.  I criss crossed the southeast slope to about 11, 850
feet, which is about 100 feet below the crest to the peak, I started
really searching here and after an hour working my way along the south
face, I decided to go elsewhere to look... MISTAKE!  I had headed back
to the base and began working the east to north slope when my dad
radioed me to let me know he was on his way up the southeast slope.  I
told him I would just meet him where we split up for lunch.  5 minutes
later he radios me again..." I found em'".  He found 3 birds on the
opposite side of the mountain from where I was looking.  Of course my
mind said, "Go For It".  SO I headed back to the point wher eI headed up
the mountain.  I got back up to about 11, 700 feet when my legs said,
"Sorry Tim, your done!"  DEFEAT!

It was a little dissappointing, but at least my dad got to see somthign
he had never seen before.  I on the other hand will make a 2nd attempt
in a couple of weeks to try for this beautiful tundra gem.  As for the
rest of the weekend I ended up getting a few of my Utah target birds for
the year:

Red Crossbill
Black Rosy-Finch
American Pipit
Mountain Bluebird
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Cooper's Hawk (at Hacking Lake)
Northern Goshawk (near Leidy Peak)
Williamson's Sapsucker
etc, etc, etc.

Good Birding!

Tim

http://www.timaverybirding.com
Salt Lake City, UT or Wherever the Birds Take Me!