CURLEW SANDPIPER

Thanks to the sighting of Keith Evans, John Belmon and Glenn Barlow and
the posting of Tim Avery, I ventured out onto the AI causeway in search
of the Curlew Sandpiper.  The directions were good, immediately past the
first bridge heading west are some sandbars, covered with rocks on the
south side of the causeway.  At 3:15 this afternoon, 8/26, there were 2
small flocks of Baird's and Western Sandpipers. About 1/4 mile beyond
the bridge, also on the left side, is another set of sand/mud bars
interspersed with rocks.  Again, a couple of small groups of Baird's and
Western peeps.  Then I noticed a Snowy Plover about 20 feet away from
the peeps, and then the Curlew Sandpiper about 20 feet farther away yet.
 With its pale gray back, I took it for another Snowy Plover, until I
could see its long, curved bill and white eyebrow.  It was in the same
general area as the other peeps, but not really closely associated with
them.  After a minute or so, it flew back east toward the bridge, but I
couldn't find it again in the same general area as the first group of
peeps.

As Tim mentioned, there aren't very many sandpipers along the causeway
now, so that cuts the looking down substantially.  We are assuming,
being such a rarity, that it is the same bird that was seen by a few
people 1 1/2 weeks ago, rather than a new bird.  Bob Huntington also saw
the bird at the bridge yesterday afternoon, about the same time as
today.

--Steve Carr