Fwd: Southern Utah Birds

Birdnet Email -- from the website

----Original Message Follows----
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:11:29 -0600 (MDT)

It was submitted by joshkreitzer.

Subject: Southern Utah Birds

Email_Address: joshkreitzer@yahoo.com

Message: For any interested in birding southern Utah this time of year, here's a list of the birds and places we saw them last weekend in Washington County:

Last weekend, August 19-20, I visited Washington County with a photographer, Tom Spindle, to take pictures of birds and habitats in preparation for my book, The Birds of Washington County. Though we didn't find anything spectacularly rare, I thought it would be good to report the neat birds we did find. At the Woodbury Study area on the Beaver Dam Slope: Cactus Wren. At Utah Hill, the Radio tower in the Beaver Dam mountains: Black-chinned Sparrow, Gray Vireo, Black-throated Gray Warbler. At Baker Dam Reservoir, below the dam in the thick decidous forest along the river: Summer Tanager-1female; Western Tanager, Plumbeous Vireo. At the wetland area near Sunset Springs apartments in Santa Clara: Summer Tanager, Crissal Thrasher, White-winged Dove, Verdin, Ladder-backed Woodpecker, Northern Mockingbird, Gambel's Quail, and Abert's Towhee. At Red Hills Golf Course: Vermilion Flycatcher-1adult male, 1apparent female, Warbling Vireo, Phainopepla, 1 possible Nashville Warbler (may have been
 a bright Virginia's), 1 bright male Western Tanager. At Lava Point: 2 soaring california condors, 1 Olive-sided Flycatcher, 1 or 2 "Gray-headed" Juncos, and several Wild Turkeys and 1 perched condor #48 near the ranger residence. My wife Cary spotted the condors and flycatcher, though Dan Ward and his wife (new move-in birders who live in New Harmony) tipped us off on the general location of the perched condor.

We had a great time! The weather was beautiful, not too hot (even though it was southern Utah), with some clouds.

Please email me if you have any questions of exact locations:
joshkreitzer@yahoo.com. Also, I'm looking for any records of birds seen in Washington County whose identification is certain along with the location and date, etc.