AIC

In regard to Tim Avery's posting, several of us were on the causeway for
4-5 hours with no signs of the Turnstone or Curlew Sandpiper.

At 10:00 a.m., I watched and took some photos of a Whimbrel on the south
side of the causeway at MP 1.  While I was photographing, it flew off
toward the west and disappeared.  One hour later, on the north side of
the causeway at MP 2, there was a Whimbrel keeping company with a
Willet.  Don't know if it was the same or a different one.

Indeed, there are several juvenile Long-billed Curlews in the same area.
 They have a somewhat more indistinct eyebrow and central head stripes
than the Whimbrel's accentuated stripes.  Their bills, while not as long
as adult Curlews, are, nonetheless, somewhat longer than the Whimbrel's
and are two-toned, blackish at the tip end and pinkish at the base,
compared with the Whimbrel's all-black bill.

Pomera's Sabine's Gull has undoubtedly taken a powder as well.

--Steve Carr