More Antelope Island Stuff

I also went to Antelope Island today.  I'm not going to report my
causeway finds because I'm too embarassed to say what I missed that Tim
found.  Ha!  But my original purpose was to go to Garr Ranch and so I
did.  Too early in the season for Garr, you say?  Not me.  I say the
early bird gets the bird.

The only places I found activity were around the spring and along the
fence east of the South Pasture.  I found male and female Western
Tanagers, female and juvenile MacGillivray's Warblers, Yellow Warblers
and family groups of Wilson's Warblers, Chipping and Song Sparrows and
Lazuli Buntings. I saw one silent Empidonax flycatcher that I believed
to be a Cordilleran.

Best birds of the day were the Barn and Long-eared Owls in Russian
Olives along the fenceline.  I was looking for the Long-eared and was
pleased but still surprised when I saw a portion of an owl moving in
branches over my head.  She was a Barn Owl and was repositioning herself
for flight.  As I craned and strained to get a better view, she did the
same.  She calmed a bit and head-bobbed at me between silvery-green and
drooping Russian Olive branches.  One more step forward, and...!
Another bird that must have been RIGHT over my head in the same tree
flew out and was down the fenceline in a fraction of a second.  I didn't
even know what it was.

The Barn Owl then moved further down the line.  I followed with cautious
movements hoping not to disturb her again and to get a look at the other
large bird that had flown first.  What a surprise it was to look up into
another Russian Olive to see the Barn Owl about 25 feet away peering and
bobbing at me, and a Long-eared Owl about 35 feet away, wide startling
eyes riveted on she who trespassed.  Despite my not moving, both were
still uncomfortable with my presence and circled north, back to the
vicinity of their original tree.  I continued south and lo and behold,
saw another Barn Owl hidden high in a Russian Olive looking sedate and
not at all concerned about me.

Before I left the fence row I examined the ground below the spots where
I thought the first two owls had been perched. Under the Barn Owl's
roost, I found whitewash, feathers, and 8-10 pellets.  Under the
Long-eared Owl's roost, I found whitewash, barred brown feathers, and
5-6 pellets.  The two roosts were only about 20 feet apart and I
concluded the owls had been neighbors for more than just one day.

On my trip to Garr in general, seeking migrating passerines early in the
season is not an endeavor for those who don't have the luxury of time.
The trip was an exercise in patience.  Virtually all my sightings came
about because I was still and quiet for long periods, I watched for the
slightest movement and I listened for the tiniest sounds.  Birding by
ear isn't much of an option either--only the MacGillivray's Warblers,
the Chipping Sparrows, and the Lazuli Buntings voiced call notes so I
knew what bird I was seeking.  The remainder of the "quality" birds were
all quiet.  The starlings, Mourning Doves, Yellow-headed Blackbirds, and
chickens challenged me to filter out all those sounds but the tiny call
notes I wanted to hear.

Finally, I got a few other bonuses at Garr today:

1.  I was crowed at repeatedly by a disrespectful rooster.
2.  I was bitten by many disrespectful mosquitoes.
3.  I was pooped on by a disrespectful swallow.

All-in-all, not a bad day.