Re: Fw: [IBLE] Another Dimension to Birding

Springfield...which one?

Richard

----- Original Message ----- From: "james.d.mcintyre" <james.d.mcintyre@worldnet.att.net> To: "BIRDTALK" <birdtalk@utahbirds.org> Sent: Sunday, August 07, 2005 12:03 PM Subject: Fw: [IBLE] Another Dimension to Birding

----- Original Message -----
From: LCARRIGAN_55
To: ible@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, August 07, 2005 11:32 AM
Subject: Another Dimension to Birding

OK IBLER'S bear with me, 'cause this is cool!!!

This past Spring a Texas Gulf Coast birder put me onto a free tutorial
site (http://virtual.clemson.edu/groups/birdrad/comment.htm) for
interpreting biologicals (birds, insects, bats) from weather by
viewing the doppler radar info on the NOAA website
(www.nws.noaa.gov/).  It takes about 30 minutes to take the tutorial.

Just north of Springfield is one of those doppler radardomes (big
soccerball in the sky), so I took the tutorial and have been trying to
correlate what I see in the way of bird migration with the doppler
images.  Last evening it worked!!!  There was a large movement of
biologicals toward Springfield and American Falls Reservoir (I was
thinking maybe bats coming from the desert to feed on insects coming
off the lake).  This morning at Springfield there is a huge (literally
10,000+ birds) staging of Bank Swallows covering all the power
lines!!!  Plus, the dowitcher population has more than doubled, over a
thousand birds this AM.

So, Fall migration is getting underway and the technology available
allows you to predict what's happening---now, that is cool!!!

Brian Carrigan
Blackfoot

To view archived messages go to:

http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/ible