Mystery Owl

By this time of year, fledgling owls will be the same size as the
adults, except for the tail length.  This immature bird shows the breast
streaking that is typical of a Northern Pygmy Owl, and the 6-7" size
would be appropriate.  To my knowledge, the underparts of all other
owls, especially smaller ones, all have softer, fluffier horizontal
markings in contrast to this fellow.  The head pattern is not very
distinct, but the eyebrows are also typical, as are the wing markings,
for the NOPO.  This guy appears a little underweight, but, hopefully,
it's waiting for the parent to swing by with a tasty vole.

This is a good picture and a good find.  Wish I'd been there.

--Steve Carr