The Owl Name Game

I apologize in advance for an exceptionally geeky question, but a
certain mystery has been keeping me up nights.  Perhaps someone out
there already has the answer:

Does anyone know why the taxonomic name of the three screech-owl species
has been changed from Otus to Megascops?!?!?

The taxonomic names in the titles of the Western Screech-, Whiskered
Screech-, and Eastern Screech-owls have been changed in the Birds of
North America Online; however, the narrative accounts that follow have
not yet been updated.  The disparity leads me to believe that the name
change is a relatively recent development.

Thanks in advance for your replies.  I'm sure that once I learn the
answer, I'll be able to sleep again.