Three-toed Woodpeckers

Thanks to the leader (Merrill Webb) of the excursion to the Uintahs today, we counted 3, possibly 4 Three-toed Woodpeckers (males and females) doing their best to peck out all those nasty beetles hiding under the bark.  About 45 bird species were located including Clark's Nutcrackers and probably at least 30 Lincoln Sparrows gathering fluff off dandelions presumably for nesting material (?). I've never seen more than one Lincoln's Sparrow at a time before. Other personal favorites were the Red-naped Sapsucker and the Hairy Woodpecker (you gotta love all the Woodpeckers). Oh, also a Swainson's Thrush was heard by all and seen by one person, which wasn't me. Red-crossbills (male and female). A pond full of singing frogs that cut off the chorus abruptly when we approached within 5 feet of their pond.  Wish I had that music to listen to while going to sleep. The wildflowers have made the whole area into a riot of color.  You won't believe it even if you see it.  I suspect Mother Nature got carried away with her seeds this year, then sent in the rains and the result is an overwhelming "wow!"

Here's a couple of photos of the female 3-toed which are somewhat blurry (that jack-hammer head moves at the speed of light) but in the 2nd photo you can count her toes!
http://www.wildutah.us/h_wdpkr3toed.html

And photos of a Shooting Star wildflower that was by a pond. I think it was the frogs' pond.
http://www.wildutah.us/h_shootingstar.html

Thanks again to Merrill Webb and the rest of the S.L. Audubon group for a wonderful, memorable day.

Nicky Davis