Mirror Lake Specialties

Jack Clark, Pomera Fronce and I visited the Mirror Lake area yesterday
and came up with a few specialties of the high country--AMERICAN
THREE-TOED WOODPECKERS, a WILLIAMSON'S SAPSUCKER, GRAY JAYS, and a PINE
GROSBEAK.

We heard drumming from the Highline Trail parking lot almost immediately
and got a brief look at a woodpecker we believed was the female
Three-toed a short distance down the trail.  But no worries about the
brevity of the sighting, because we got better looks at the female and
subsequently the male on and off down the trail almost as far as the
first substantial pond on the left.  At one point the male "drew" us in
by drumming high on a dead tree right next to the trail.  We were able
to observe him ramming his beak into the trunk at an increasing tempo,
something like a bouncing ball.

The Williamson's Sapsucker was a surprise.  We saw a shadow bound up a
tree trunk and fool around in one of those big, messy blobs of old pine
needles or branches.  Then he hopped back to the trunk and the ID was
very clear.  A pair of Gray Jays hopped through an area of felled logs
on the downslope side of the trail and didn't say a word!  They were
very quiet yesterday.

Finally, the Pine Grosbeak, a male, was right where Pomera said it was
supposed to be--along the meadows area between the picnic area parking
lot and the Monte Cristo Ranger Station building.  He tantalized us a
couple times with his "Chur-dih-lee"! call, but we eventually saw him
out in the open and enjoyed his gray, formal tux-with-tails look topped
with that rosy head.

The remainder of our sightings were expected for the area, and because I
took too long to post, I can't remember what they were.  Oops!

If you head for the Highline Trail, be advised that the mosquitos were
positively carnivorous along the portion of the trail bordered with
small ponds.  Once we passed the ponds on the way back to the trailhead,
the mosquitos lost interest.

Mirror Lake is located about 25 miles east of Kamas along SR-150 near
the Wasatch, Summit, and Duchesne County lines.