Flammulated Owls

With Kristin Purdy (as our expert guide), Glenn Barlow, my husband and I found 3 Flammulated Owls, life birds for my husband and I, up Weber Canyon July 5, 2005.  We are so fortunate to share Earth with these precious little Owls. Beautiful night for birding and as a little bonus we also saw bats flitting about dining on the plentiful flying insect supply. We looked for Saw-whets also, but with no success.

Excuses for bad photos.  1.  The old Olympus camera would not stay on Tiff...it's falling apart at the seams and it has just 2.4 megapixels.  2.  The Panasonic camera thought I was nuts to ask it to focus in the dark. 3. Camera operator needs a lot more practice and information on photographing at night.  Anyone that can help with the 3rd issue, please let me know?  Anyway, my husband and I are thrilled that we were able to watch and listen to these wonderful little Owls. We can't thank Kris enough and it was very nice meeting and birding with Glenn Barlow, too.

There is one photo where the owl is so camouflaged that if you didn't see the eye, you would be unable to differentiate him from the tree's bark.  Amazing.

http://www.wildutah.us/h_owl_flammulated.html

Nicky Davis