Tony Grove, etc. - Cache County

Hello All,
It's been a while since I've posted so I thought I'd share some highlights from a Sunday-Monday (7/3-4) trip to the Cache National Forest. My wife and I camped at Tony Grove Campground and hiked around the lake in the evening. We then birded our way down the road on the 4th.

Tony Grove Lake, Campground & Vicinity:
Spotted Sandpiper 2 - On the lake, which is mostly drained, making good shorebird habitat.
Great Horned Owl 2 - Male and female calling. Heard from the Campground
Common Nighthawk 2 - Heard over Campground
Common Poorwill 2 - Calling from near campground
Broad-tailed Hummingbird 3
Red-naped Sapsucker 1
Northern Flicker 2
Western Wood-Pewee 1
Gray Flycatcher 1
Tree Swallow 2 - Possibly nesting in the tall trees near the lake parking lot
Violet-green Swallow 5 -Same as above
Cliff Swallow 10
Mountain Chickadee 5
Red-breasted Nuthatch 2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 5
Mountain Bluebird 1 - Along the road a short ways down from the lake.
Hermit Thrush 3
American Robin 15
Orange-crowned Warbler 1 - Far (north) side of the lake
Yellow Warbler 4
Yellow-rumped Warbler 8
MacGillivray's Warbler 2
Western Tanager 6
Chipping Sparrow 4 - one pair carrying nesting material including a long (6") piece of grass
Lincoln's Sparrow 3
White-crowned Sparrow 2
Dark-eyed Junco 1 -near the lake
Cassin's Finch 4
Pine Siskin 5

In addition, we saw a House Wren, Green-tailed Towhee and a Lazuli Bunting on the way down. A noisy young Downy Woodpecker in a nest cavity had me a bit confused until I saw him poking his head out. A few Warbling Vireos were also seen in the aspens in this area.

The Stokes Nature Center was also a nice little side excursion on our way back. It was closed but the feeders outside provided nice looks at Pine Siskins, Black-capped Chickadees, a Black-headed Grosbeak, and a few Cassin's and House Finches.

Good Birding,
Matt Williams
Provo, UT