FW: Butterfield Canyon

Birdnet Email -- from the website

----Original Message Follows----
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 17:33:45 -0600 (MDT)

It was submitted by Cindy Sommerfeld.

Subject: Butterfield Canyon

Email_Address: ssfeld@xmission.com

Message: OK Kris I'm posting because you said more of us should.
   This morning Steve and I birded Butterfield Canyon. Fortunately we started early enough to miss a lot of the traffic. On the way to the summit some of the interesting birds were Lark Sparrow, Spotted Towhee, Lazuli Bunting, Mountain Bluebird, Lesser Goldfinch, Chipping Sparrow, House Wren, Westen Tanager, Virginia's Warbler, Hermit Thrush, and a Downey Woodpecker.
   At the summit we found Green Tailed Towhee heaven. They were all trying to out sing each other. Also on the top just south of the parking barriers, we discobered a Quaking Aspen bird nursery. One tree housed a Tree Swallow nest, a Rednaped Sapsucker nest and a House Wren nest. Even with all the parents frantically coming and going we could hear a choir Of many baby birds squwaking for more food. A Goshawk flew over head scolding us.
   Our final count was 31 different species.
Cindy Sommerfeld