Re: Cranes and G. Blue Herons

I have never seen a GBH eat a bird but did get to watch one devour a
muskrat last week.  I'm not sure I would have thought the muskrat was
"small enough to swallow", but he managed to choke down the whole thing.
 Now if these guys would just eat more carp!

JFC

John F. Cavitt PhD, Director
Office of Undergraduate Research
Associate Professor

Mailing Address
Dept. of Zoology
Weber State University
2505 University Circle
Ogden, UT 84408-2505

(801) 626-6172
(801) 626-8541
cell:(801) 791-4438
FAX: (801) 626-7445
homepage: http://faculty.weber.edu/jcavitt

"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability,
and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise."

Aldo Leopold

>>> Mark Stackhouse <westwings@sisna.com> 06/06/05 11:05 AM >>>
I read once that some one said of the Great Blue Heron that it would
eat anything small enough to swallow. It was in a article giving an
account of a GBH eating a Dipper. The strangest thing I've ever seen a

Great Blue Heron eat was a Violet-green Swallow, which it snatched out

of mid-air as it flew low over the water at Farmington Bay.

Mark Stackhouse
801-487-9453 (Salt Lake City, Utah, USA)
011-52-323-285-1243 (San Blas, Nayarit, Mexico)