Amazing aerobatics

After reading Merrill's post about the Red-Tail attacking the Swainson's
attacking the Peregrine attacking the unknown subject of mid-air
collision, boyhood thoughts of "Oh gee, wouldn't that be cool to see,"
filled my mind. But the larger problem for all of us is being in the
right place at the right time, which is usually never my opportunity.

Still, stuff that happens in your own neighborhood can be quite
exciting-even while in traffic-if you simply look for it.

Some American Kestrels live nearby and are often hunting for mice in the
pumpkin patch at 90th S 22nd W in West Jordan. I see them frequenting
the same electrical wire and often see them dive down to pounce on some
unlucky rodent. Yesterday as I reached the stoplight there, no Kestrels
were to be found; however, my eye caught a Kestrel/Sharp-Shinned-sized
hawk/falcon chasing a likely Red-Tailed hawk deeper out over the patch.

It was the standard chase and heckle procedure with the smaller bird
trailing the larger bird, sometimes getting close but mostly 10' behind.
Suddenly the smaller hawk/falcon gave a burst of speed going right for
the head, and then BOOM....faster than the eye could see, that little
hawk/falcon was 15 to 20 feet above and away from the Red-Tail. It
seemed so fast, the bird literally became invisible in that split
second.

I've never been lucky enough to witness a Sharp-Shinned Hawk pick a
sparrow out of the air and have often found myself thinking "Oh
sure...right...like a hawk 5 times the size of a sparrow could
out-manuever a sparrow."

I'm a believer now. There's no sparrow or finch on this earth that could
do what I saw that hawk/falcon do.
John