Ogden Valley Birding

Glenn Barlow and I hit several Ogden Valley spots this morning to see
what we could see.  We spent the most time at Anderson Cove Campground
on SR-39.  The place was very birdy--Caspian Terns and American White
Pelicans out over Pineview, at least one pair of Red-naped Sapsuckers
foraging low on trunks and swooping frequently to new foraging spots,
very active Western Wood-pewees, Western Tanagers, Cedar Waxwings,
Bullock's Orioles, Yellow and Yellow-rumped Warblers, Warbling Vireos, a
House Wren oddly teed up on a tall fir singing its heart out, and
Cassin's and House Finches, Pine Siskins, Brown-headed Cowbirds, and a
Black-chinned Hummingbird at a campground host's feeders.  We saw a few
other common species whose names escape me at the moment. Best birding
of the day here might have been a family of Great Horned Owls that have
fledged and are on the move since they left the nest at least 3 weeks
ago.  We saw Mom and three youngsters--a surprise for me; I've been
watching their nest since February and thought there were only two
owlets.  To see these owls, ask the campground hosts of their
whereabouts; the hosts have been very helpful and entertained by this
owl family.

Glenn and I also hit a couple places to look for birds previously
reported--Wheeler Creek at the head of Ogden Canyon for White-throated
Swifts, The North Arm Nature Area of Pineview for Calliope Hummingbirds
and others, and Snowbasin for Orange-crowned Warblers.   We missed the
warbler, but saw the others, plus a few bonuses.  Gray Catbirds,
Broad-tailed Hummingbirds, and Yellow-breasted Chats were pretty active
at The North Arm, although we only heard the chat.  I've marked the
Calliope Hummingbird's tree so that it can be spotted with a scope from
a trail above the nature area.  That way observers don't have to walk
trails that might still be flooded to see the bird.  Reply for
instructions.  But don't delay your visit!  Last year I tried to show
this bird to my mother (it would have been a lifer for her) during the
first full week of June, and neither of the two Calliopes were on
territory by then.  I felt like a bad daughter. I didn't see Calliope #2
yesterday, nor did another observer see the bird on Sunday.

My favorite sighting at The North Arm today was a Red Fox hunting in a
grassy area below us.  We watched the rather rumpled-looking fox pounce
once, then again, and come up with a vole or mouse in its mouth.  The
rodent's back legs were still kicking as it hung down from the fox's
muzzle.  The fox turned its face toward us and looked squinty and
sleepy-eyed in the bright sunlight.  I could forget for a moment what a
serious predator the Red Fox is of ground-nesting birds because our
subject looked so KEEEE-UTE pouncing and looking at us in the sun.  We
thought the fox had swallowed the rodent in one gulp, but when the head
came up a second time, the fox had the rodent again and bounded off into
the brush...perhaps taking the prey to its den.

It seems like I always see something intriguing at this great birding
spot--and it's not always a bird.  When I visited yesterday to mark
Calliope #1's tree, I passed a big dead Cottonwood snag next to the
nature trail and thought nothing of it.  On the return trip I happened
to look up at the snag 20 feet over my head, to see a medium-sized
raccoon hanging out of a cavity.  The raccoon was immaculate--luxuriant
fur, bright black eyes--and looked to be in perfect health with the
exception of the fact that it was deader than a doornail.  It had
suffered no decompositon and showed no sign of injury.  I had to look
for movement and at the bright black eyes a couple times to conclude
that it really was dead.  Most of its body hung down toward the ground
and the front paws, with long, human-like fingers, stretched toward me
as if making the entreaty, "Would you please dislodge my hindquarters
from this cavity?"  I suspect this specter will be present at the site
for the summer unless the vultures respond to the raccoon's request.

If you'd like further information about any of the sightings above,
please reply.

Anderson Cove Campground is located at mile marker 17 of SR-39.  The
entrance fee is $8.00; bring your National Parks Golden Age pass and the
fee is $4.00.